Friday, August 13, 2010

Pannies at Granny's

We spent part of Sunday up at the in-laws'.  After swimming and a great dinner, I took the kids out in the rowboat one by one and helped them fish for pannies.  Using a tiny jig with a plastic boot tail, I casted out behind the boat and let them hold the pole while I slowly rowed just out from the weed line.  This worked so beautifully for my young fisherkids because all they had to do was hold onto the rod and wait for a fish to grab on.  One second they were looking at the clouds and the next second they were springing to action and wrestling with a nice fish.  All 3 of them had a ball and we caught some nice gills, crappies, and even a few small bass.  Luke hooked and landed his first two largemouth all by himself.  He didn't seem to find this as significant as I did.  I couldn't even get him to do a recap with me that night after I told him his bedtime story.  The jury is still out on whether or not Luke is going to be a fisherman.  Lincoln shows the most interest and stays focused longer than the other two.  That's saying a lot since he is the youngest.  If he can slow down and actually sit in one place for more than 3 seconds, he will probably end up spending a lot of time in a boat with me.  Time will tell.  For now we were gifted with a nice little memory, at least sentimental old dad was.  

No comments:

Post a Comment