Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A Look Towards Spring

I spent a good part of this past Saturday getting my ice fishing gear stored away.  I took my time to make sure that everything was clean and dry, and then stored it all neatly away in my basement.  With ice fishing completely behind me, it's time to turn towards spring and start to make my plan.  I'm finding that, especially with my new passion for muskie fishing, I have a lot to figure out in the next 45 days.  If I want to be ready for the pike, muskies, walleye, and channel cats by the end of April, then I'd better get it in gear.

The good news is that as far as catfish, I'm pretty well set.  I can always update and upgrade, but I've got what I need and I could be ready to fish the river tonight if I wanted to.  I buy my cat hooks in bulk, so I still have plenty.  The same goes for swivels.  I still have quite a bit of line left to make my leaders.  As for the line on my reels, I loaded that 80 pound PowerPro on them last year and I think that it has plenty of life left in it.  I may decide to get fresh line later in the year, but I don't think it's a must before the season starts.  I have my eye on an Abu Garci Ambassadeur 7000 C3I reel, but that too can wait.  I'll stick with my two 6500's and my old Shimano Cordair for now.  I'm set for cats.

It's thinking about getting ready for muskies that makes me feel overwhelmed.  I'm finding that it's almost like a whole new sport if you want to get off to a good start.  Bass gear obviously won't handle throwing the big lures and especially won't hold up to fighting the savage fish.  I like the St. Croix Premier 7'6" MH power, fast action casting rod.  Gander Mountain has just one.  I know that I can order one if this one sells, but it will be nice to save on the shipping.  It will probably be my first big purchase.  I've been drooling over the Shimano Calcutta 400 reel for years now.  They make a B series that is over $100 cheaper than the TE.  I'm in the process of saving for this reel right now.  Of course, Michelle and I are working hard to Dave Ramsey our debt, so just about the only money that I am able to put towards fishing is the money that I get for giving plasma.  Not a complaint.  I just have to think things through and really decide what I need and what I can live without.

The rod and reel are already a huge set back, and then I have to think about building some kind of starter arsenal of lures.  Muskie lures are usually much bigger than the average lure and, therefore, much more expensive.  I found a couple of Super Shad Raps at Dick's that were on sale for about $10.  I grabbed a couple and will get a couple more after I donate tomorrow.  I still want to get some bucktail in-line and safety pin spinner baits.  I also want to pick up some big plastic baits like the Bull Dawg.  Who knows what else I'll end up with.  Lures are like candy to me.  I'm drawn to them anytime I'm in a sporting goods store and it's pretty easy to talk myself into getting a couple more in case I find myself in just the right situation for them.  I kicked around the idea of getting the Terminator titanium leaders.  They're more expensive and it looks like I'd have to order them.  They can wait, too.  I can get a decent steel leader in the store for relatively cheap.  The last thing that I'll need for rigging is 65 # PowerPro.  This is a must right off the bat.  My starter kit is getting expensive.

Besides rod, reel, and tackle there are other things that you should probably have if you're going to chase muskies.  I would like to eventually get a really nice oversized net.  I've noticed that when the guys on the shows catch muskies, they leave them in the net and in the water while they're getting the hooks out.  Modern nets are also made to be a lot easier on the fish.  Hopefully I can get a good net shortly into the season.  I've noticed that some of the time, they have to cut the hooks to get the lure back out of the muskies' mouths with the least amount of damage to them.  I'll have to get some good cutters.  If I'm going to be cutting the hooks off of my lures, I better come prepared with a supply of replacement hooks and rings.  I'm also going to need a split ring tool.  Finally, Lindy makes a really nice glove that protects hands from hooks and teeth.  At something like $30 per glove, I'll have to wait on those.  Mechanics' gloves will have to do for now.    Way down the line, I'd like to get one more muskie rod and Calcutta reel so that I can have a second rod in the boat ready with a different type of lure or for a partner to use if I bring someone with me.  I also want a trolling rod and reel with a line counter.  I like the Shimano Tekota.  These things will have to come after I get some experience and decide that I can have some success with muskies and I really want to make them a fish that I regularly pursue.  Man, there's something to be said for driving 5 minutes to the river and fishing a crawler on a hook and sinker.

Other than putting fresh monofilament on my spinning reels, I'm in pretty good shape for chasing all of the other fish.  I'm going to go after big pike in the Grand River bayous this May.  I can use my muskie gear for them.  This is a new adventure for me and I'm really looking forward to exploring that section of the river.  I'll probably throw the kids in the Jeep before then and take a scouting trip to check out some of the launches over there.  I want to know right where I'm going when the time comes.  I've heard that the walleye fishing can be good on that end of the river, too.  I want to try for them with Josh and Elijah.  Elijah is obsessed with walleye and I've become obsessed with getting him his first one.  I'm sure Mort will come out with me, too.  We can go after those huge channel cats that Dan Lipski put us on a couple of years ago.  I might kick off my year fishing for muskies and walleye on Thornapple Lake on the last Saturday in April.  We'll see.  I have a feeling it will be like trying to hunt state land on the opening day of gun season.  I'm not big on combat fishing.  I'll figure it out when the time gets closer.

I love this time of year.  It's a great feeling to know that the new season is right around the corner, full of big fish and memorable moments on the water.  I get antsy with the anticipation, but as I lose myself in the preparation, time is going to fly by and I'm going to be back in a boat before I know it.      

2 comments:

  1. Matt,
    I bought that very Rapala bait a couple springs ago (I even paid retail) and was excited to use it. First cast...bang. Pretty decent pike hit it. Got it to the surface next to the boat, just beyond reach and he snap turned. The line also snapped (change your line EVERY spring!!). He stayed suspended 3 feet away with the "new" lure hanging out of his lip like a piece of sepeda jewellery. He turned and slowly waggled down into the lake. I literally tried calling him back...NO LUCK. 8 bucks down the drain! Bottom line...its a good lure!
    -Brad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wouldn't it be great to get a "do over" after one of those? I'm excited to fish this lure, too. On one of my Lindner muskie DVD's, they kill them with the bluegill pattern. I have 5 new ones and a couple of old ones. If I get these fish figured out, I'll have to meet you out at Murray Lake this summer and we can see what we can do. Maybe even as early as May if you're up for it. Get loading those reels with fresh line! ME

    ReplyDelete